Wednesday 5 December 2018

Low Furness School

Yesterday Sarah and I went to do our Christmas assembly at Low Furness School.  Sarah started by asking if the children were excited - which got a big reaction.  Pushing the question a little more she asked why - a multitude of answers came back all related to Christmas.  This led into me talking about the Christmas story and that is a story we all know well, I explained that I was going to use a Christmas cracker to help them remember the parts of the story.  Asking for a boy and a girl to help me we sat down and waited.  I said that inside the cracker there is always a surprise which can help us to think about the surprise Mary and Joseph got when they found out that Mary was going to have a baby and not just a baby but God's son.  Next and before we pulled the cracker I said that there would be a loud bang or crack - in fact the cracker even said bang on it.  Loud noise can frighten people so now I asked what makes them frightened, we had the dark, loud noise, spiders, roller coasters.  Linking to the Christmas story I asked what group of people got frighten in the story - the shepherds of course.  I told the children that if an angel suddenly appeared to me even during the day and spoke to me I would be frighten.  The children pulled the cracker and we took out the party hat.  I asked what it looked like - a crown that a king or queen might wear.  This can be used to remind us that Jesus came as a king but not just a king of a country or area but as the King of kings which is one of the titles Jesus is known by.  Next we took out the joke - which was bad.... But it can help to remind us that long before Jesus was born wise men in the Old Testament spoke about him.  Then there was the gift - who brought gifts I asked - the wise men.  Sarah then said that Jesus was also God's gift to us and that without Jesus there wouldn't be a Christmas.  To finish off our assembly we sang Rejoice with Us.  Then a said a short prayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment