Monday 23 September 2019

Newton Primary School

Today I went to Newton Primary School for the assembly.  It was the first visit of the new school year, the children gave me such a warm welcome it was lovely.  As it was the first visit I asked the children about summer holidays and if they had done anything or been away somewhere new.  Lots of hands went up so I picked a few out.  I then asked about who had new school uniform and shoes and who was in a new class with a new teacher.  The point was I explained was because the story I had was about a man who had a fresh new start.  I started by saying he was a liar, a thief and a cheat a phase I as to repeat several times during the story. He also worked for the Romans - I explained why and was a tax collector - I did point out that is a good thing as today for example it helps pay for education, healthcare etc.  Anyway back to the story, Zacchaeus that was his name I said was also a very short man and went Jesus came into town people gathered to see him but because he was short and also a liar, a thief, a cheat, worked for the Romans and collected tax's he was pushed away.  So he ran on ahead and climbed a tree thinking no-one would see him in the tree - wrong Jesus saw him and asked him to come down as he wanted to eat a meal with him.  Well the crowd went mad What! they said Jesus is going to eat a meal with a liar, a cheat, a thief and someone who works for the Romans and a tax collector.  Jesus and Zacchaeus went off together into the house.  The crowd stood around perhaps wanting to see and hear what was going on in the house.  Then suddenly the doors flew open and there was Jesus with Zacchaeus who spoke and said he was sorry for what he had done and that he was going to give half of his money away to the poor and give back 7 times that which he had stolen.  Jesus told the waiting crowd that today Zacchaeus had started a new life with a fresh start.  I finished the story and explained that we can do the same as today is a new day at the start of a new week at the start of a new term of a new school year and whatever has happened before is in the past.  So to finish we sang So Many Ways to Praise the Lord before I said a short prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment