Wednesday 1 February 2017

Lindale School

This morning Sarah and I went down to Lindale School to do their assembly.  It was great to see all the children again, it seems so long since we last visited the school.  We started with So Many Ways to Praise the Lord and then I handed over to Sarah to tell the story but she denied she had the story, so I replied no I gave it to you before - we had a little exchange between ourselves before we both said - Awkward Moment just as I displayed the words on the screen.  Then Sarah said feeling a bit red faced and embarrassed as again I displayed a red face with the word embarrassed over it.  Of course this was all planned so as I started to tell the story of Peter denying Jesus I explained it had been staged.  I then recalled some of the events of the Last Supper in particular about Peter saying he would stay with Jesus.  I continued to talk about Jesus being arrested and taken away and Peter following him, and the three different people that spoke to Peter about Jesus and each time Peter saying he didn't know him.  I ended with Peter hearing the cock crow and he went away and wept.  I explained to the children that even though Jesus had told Peter what would happen and that Peter knew that Jesus was someone very, very special with all the teaching and miracles he had done - Peter still denied Jesus - he wasn't strong and courageous.  I said that sometimes we are like Peter and don't stand up for something we should do, but we need to be strong because that is what God wants us to be particularly when we are talking about Him or Jesus or going to church and youth group.  Sarah then said about how we should Shine what's inside us out and  it isn't always necessary to say something we can do things like being kind and compassionate, showing love to each other.  This linked with our final song Shine.  After the song I explained that once Jesus had come back to life, he forgave Peter for what he had done and then on the day Jesus sent His Holy Spirit it was Peter that stood up and talked to the crowd of thousands and told them about Jesus and what He had done and thousand decided to follow Jesus.  This marked the start of the church.  Sarah then closed the assembly with a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment