Thursday 10 October 2013

Leven Valley

We went to Leven Valley school this morning for a Harvest themed assembly.  We started by introducing a new song today 'God can do Anything' before introducing the theme of harvest to the children.  I had Scruff the dog with me and when I brought him out there was the usual few questions of who are the children, have they seen him before, etc.  After a bit of chit chat Scruff told me that he had something for me so I looked in his bag and found a vest - upon lifting it out Scruff whispered in my ear Happy A Vest time.  This of course got a loud laugh from the children as I stood wondering what to say (as it were) I needed now to correct Scruff and tell him that a mistake had happened and that it isn't A Vest time but Harvest Time when we thank God for what we get off the land and out of the ground.  Scruff looking at me asked what stones?  No I said the fresh vegetables and fruit and things.  I did redeem the situation and the mistake by telling the children that people do sometimes get the wrong idea of Harvest in that they say thank you to God which is only part of it, we should also look to what we can give away as well at Harvest to help those in need.  I told Scruff's vest said thank you and gave it back to him so he could keep warm in the winter.  He then went away and we sang a Harvest song ' Fruits and Veggies'  Sarah then finished with a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment