Monday 1 December 2014

Church Walk

This morning Sarah and I went along to Church Walk School to do the first of our Christmas assemblies of the year.  We didn't start with a song instead Sarah asked the children what day it was - Monday, 1st December were the sort of answers she got back until someone said the start of advent.  She explained that advent is the time of year just before Christmas and it is a time of waiting.  This linked to the 2011 John Lewis advert about a boy who waited and waited for Christmas to come and when it did eventually come he got up on Christmas morning ran past all his presents that were at the foot of his bed and went instead to the cupboard were he was hiding a present which he took and gave to his mum and dad.  Sarah explained to the children about the advert and asked a few questions about it she then linked in the bible verse ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ Acts 20:35.  She then handed over to me and I showed the children a present that had a red bow on it and as I started to open it I was asking what was inside it.  Then I revealed that there was nothing inside it well there was a note saying NOTHING.  But I said Christmas is about God giving us the greatest ever gift in sending Jesus to be born on the earth and as I said this I dropped the sides of the box open to show a cross - Jesus the greatest gift.  Sarah then concluded and linked to the song Rejoice with us this Christmas.  After the song Sarah closed with a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment