Monday 19 September 2016

Penny Bridge Academy

This morning I went along to Penny Bridge Academy to do the first assembly of the new school year.  After saying good morning and asking if the children had had a good summer we sang Be Happy.  After that I showed the children a collection of items that I had taken with me, there was a wet suit, cycle hat, 2 hard hats, gloves, snow boots, life jacket I had other things to.  I asked a few of the younger children to help hold the items.  I asked the rest of the school if they could see a connection with the items - someone said safety which was a good answer but not what I was thinking off - someone else then said protection.  I then read the calming of the storm story from Andy Robbs book 50 Weirdest Bible Stories.  Then I explained the connection between the story and the items - in life we sometimes have good days when we are so happy (link to song) and some days when we feel a bit sad and down - it is a bit like the waves on the sea in a storm (link to story).  When faced with the storm the disciples called HELP! - Jesus who was asleep at the time in the boat got up and calmed everyone down, as well as the sea and wind.  So I encouraged the children then whenever they find themselves in a down situation to do as the disciples did and call out help to Jesus.  I then linked this to the song Wonderful Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment