Thursday 13 October 2016

Leven Valley School

Just before lunch I was at Leven Valley School doing an assembly.  After singing God can do anything, I displayed the words of the Lord's Prayer on the screen.  I had highlighted the words Give us this day our daily bread, and asked if anyone knew what that meant.  One girl said it is not just about bread but all food - which was a great answer.  I explained that God provides us with all sorts of things and we should say thank you to him daily for them.  I had with me some soap, face cloth tooth brush and paste and asked how many people say thank you for these things.  I also had a clean shirt and asked about this.  I linked this with the idea that God gives us what we need and not what we want, on the run up to Christmas there are adverts already on the television about toys and things for Christmas - so I asked who says things like I want that and that and that and that.... I then told a brief account of George Muller who open up lots of homes for children who had nothing and how he thanked God for the food the children were about to eat - when in fact there was no food left to feed them.  But God had other ideas because both the baker and the milkman just happened to give the 300+ children what they needed that day.  George never once asked anyone for money to run his homes - he lived out those words Give us this day our daily bread.  That was a miracle from our God who is so big he holds us in his hands - cue song.  After the song I said a short prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment