Wednesday 14 December 2016

Broughton School

This morning I went over to Broughton School for the last assembly of the year with them.  To start off I asked the children which song they would like to sing and someone picked God's Love is Bigger than a Burger (good one)  I then explained that this time of year is Christmas time - yes - but we call it Advent which is the time that leads up to Christmas.  I told them that they know the Christmas story already and what it is all about so instead of me doing the talking I showed them a video which was a poem set to some pictures - all about Christmas.  In the clip there was a repeating line which said "...turn sad into glad..."  So I asked them what is it that makes our world sad - I got a number of very good answers from all kinds of fight and war to people not respecting the world around them.  I reminded them that Christmas is all about God sending Jesus into the world to show us how we should be.  Jesus showed love and compassion to everyone he met and through his teachings he told us how we should live our lives.  The school had a display up which said Jesus is the reason for the season so I pointed it out to them as I was talking to them.  I encouraged them to say thank you to God for sending Jesus to us like on Christmas morning when they were opening their presents, I also encouraged them to stop and consider Jesus amid the rushing about that leads up to Christmas day.  To finish we sang Rejoice with Us before I closed the assembly with a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment