Monday 5 December 2016

Pennington School

This afternoon Sarah and I visited Pennington School for our last assembly of the year with them.  We started by asking them what the time of year was - it is Advent but some said December, Christmas, winter which are all correct but it was Advent we wanted to talk about.  I explained that Advent is the time of year that comes before Christmas and is when we start to get ready and prepare for the birthday celebration of Jesus.  In Matthew chapter 2 some other people got ready and got prepared to celebrate this time it was the birth day of Jesus.  They travelled a long way to see him, I asked if they knew who I was talking about - the wise men.  I talked about what we need to do when we go on long journeys and how we need to get things ready.  Sarah then told the Babushka story and about how she missed seeing Jesus as she was too busy doing stuff.  I explained that we can be like that too as I showed them a video clip.  The video started with a nativity scene that was soon taken out by loads of other pictures all to do with Christmas.  I pointed out that all what the children had seen was about Christmas but they sometimes get in the way of the real reason we have Christmas because without Jesus there would be no Christmas the cue is in the name Christ - mas.  The wise men got ready to meet Jesus for the first time and they prepared well, so during the next few weeks we should stop and remember what it is we are doing.  To finish we sang Rejoice with Us.  Then Sarah closed with a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment