Monday 5 December 2016

Croftlands Junior School

This morning Sarah and I went along to Croftlands Junior School for the assembly.  We didn't start with a song but went straight in and asked the children what time of year it was, we got winter, December, Christmas as well as Advent - which is the answer we were looking for.  I then explained that Advent means a time of waiting, of preparing, as well as the time that leads to Christmas.  Next I asked questions about some of the characters that featured in the first Christmas story, a group of people who needed to prepare well and travel a long way to meet Jesus - I did ask the children who they thought I was talking about - it was of course the wise men.  I talked about what we might need to do to go on a long journey today like what we would need to take.  Sarah then told a story which is not in the bible it is in fact a myth - Babushka.  She missed out on seeing Jesus as she was far too busy doing other things.  I then played a video clip which I put  together years ago about how the real meaning of Christmas can get taken over by other things.  After the video I explained that without Jesus there would be no Christmas - the cue is in the name Christ - mas.  So in the run up to Christmas and the busy, busy way we seem to run around like headless chickens (or turkeys!) stop and press pause for a moment or two and remember why it is we are celebrating - the birth of Jesus.  After the talk we sang Rejoice with us this Christmas before we closed the assembly with a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment