Saturday 19 May 2012

Messy Church - Methodist Church Ulverston

This afternoon Sarah and I along with the family went to take part in the 2nd Messy Church held at the Methodist Church in Ulverston.  We had a great time, the children did too.  I was there doing what I do dressed up as I do in funny trousers and bright laces in my shoes with my bowler hat.  I greeted people as they came in and did a few card tricks to the adults and children as they played or sat around in the church.  In the other rooms there was crafts going on and PSP games etc.  Sarah and I had been asked once again to do the worship bit as well as the short message.  We sang two songs before Sarah introduced the children to Gary.  Gary was I have to say a little sad as his signed photo of Bertie the Clown had got all dirty.  His mum had suggested he clean it with a sponge but it was still dirty.  Sarah asked him if he had put water on the sponge - No came the reply as I'll get wet.  So Sarah asked a child to help and wet the sponge and then clean the picture, which she did.  So Gary was happy again and dashed off to find Bertie.  Meanwhile I talked to the children and adults about the sponge and how it needed something to help it do what it is meant to do - water.  I held up a wet and dry sponge and physically they looked the same but one was wet and full of water while the other was dry as a bone.  I went on to tell the children that in a few days time in churches we would be celebrating Pentecost which is the time of year when we remember Jesus' special helper the Holy Spirit coming down on the followers of Jesus, and it was the Holy Spirit that then enabled them to do what Jesus intended them to do - spread the gospel message.

No comments:

Post a Comment