Wednesday 29 January 2014

St Peters

Our first assembly of the day has been at St Peters.  Sarah and I drove over there this morning armed with a treasure map and a metal detecting device ready to search for the lost treasure of Blue Beard the local pirate.  So after singing So Many Ways to Praise the Lord I retold the famous story of Blue Beard and his treasure that at one time was hidden on Piel Island until it was move to the main land.  I explained to the children that I had come across a treasure map some years ago while reading a history book that I had bought from a local shop.  I had a few calculations to make and set off pacing the floor until I was in the middle of the children, then with my metal detecting device I located the exact spot when Sarah stopped me.  She started to read from Matthew 13:44-46 about the man who discovered treasure went out sold everything and bought the field.  Then I pointed out that under the school hall there was no treasure, but I explained the parable to the children in that Jesus wants us to follow him and do everything we can to follow him like the man selling what he had to buy the field.  This lead into me talking about the chorus from Be Happy about running the race.  So after I said what I did we sang that song.  Sarah then closed the assembly with a prayer followed by the Lord's Prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment