Thursday 24 September 2015

BX NT1 Low Furness School

This afternoon I was in Low Furness School with the year 5/6 class doing New Testament Bible Explorer.  Last year I was in doing Old Testament so the year 6 children knew what to expect, the year 5 children will do Old Testament next year.  You can't do New Testament without referring back to the Old Testament as it points to events in it.  To day we looked at some passages that foretold the birth of Jesus and explained that the people had been waiting a long time for a person, a special person to come along and save them, that person was Jesus.  During the time of the prophets they talked of a Messiah, a saviour and that is was Christ means.  It does seem very strange doing Christmas stories in September but that is where the New Testament begins.  We covered the story of Jesus' birth and the visit of the shepherds and the wise men, the family going into Egypt as Herod the Great was killing all the two year old boys.  I explained about the families move back up north to Nazareth and mentioned that Jesus would have no doubt helped Joseph out in his work.  I also did the story of Jesus at 12 in the temple and showed some pictures of the model temple in Jerusalem.  I then went back in time to talk about John and how he was announced and what he did as an adult in baptising people in the Jordan.  I explained also that Jesus came to him to be baptised too and that this was the start of his ministry.  I also covered the events afterwards as Jesus went off into the desert for 40 days and nights and that after the devil tried to tempt him, I explained Jesus' respond to each and told the children that everything Jesus said had come from the Old Testament.  I left the story telling there to be continued next week.  I had some time left over so I talked about the different types of Bible that you can get which interested some of the children.  I even took out the scrolls that I have from Israel and showed them to the children too.  I finished off by answering questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment