Tuesday 29 September 2015

Crosthwaite School

This afternoon Sarah and I went over to Crosthwaite School.  It was great to see all the children and staff again. We started the assembly by singing Creator God.  I then displayed some clocks with times on them one was set at 8 o'clock, one at 9 another at 12 and one at 3:15.  I displayed them one at a time and asked the children what time it was - they said the time so I asked again - the answer I was looking for was breakfast time, school time, lunch time, home time etc.  This led on to me talking about time I asked who gets you up in the morning apart from your parents - alarm clock was what I was looking for.  We then played the 1 minute game so I got the stop watch ready and told the children that they needed to stay seated and then stand when they thought a minute had gone by.  A number of the children did manage it some stood just before and others just after.  I then displayed a picture of some apples one of which was cut open.  I reminded the children that an apple has a seed inside it and that seed when planted can grow into a tree which in turn will grow apples on them.  So I asked the children who tells the seed to start to grow - does it need an alarm clock that says wake up it is time to grow - no!  I then showed the life cycle of an apple from seed to fruit.  I explained that it is God who makes them grow and referred to three bible verses to help the children to understand -
Genesis 1:11Then God said, "Let the earth grow grass, plants that make grain, and fruit trees. The fruit trees will make fruit with seeds in it. And each plant will make its own kind of seed. Let these plants grow on the earth." And it happened. Genesis 8:22 As long as the earth continues, there will always be a time for planting and a time for harvest. There will always be cold and hot, summer and winter, day and night on earth."  Ecclesiastes 3:1-2 There is a right time for everything, and everything on earth will happen at the right time. There is a time to be born and a time to die. There is a time to plant and a time to pull up plants. I went on to say that at this time of year we start to think about all the good things that God gives to us it is harvest time.  Sarah continued to emphasis this point and said that God provides so much for us and is a great big God that holds us in his hands - cue song.  After the song Sarah closed with a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment