Tuesday 10 May 2016

Low Furness School

This morning I was at Low Furness school for the assembly.  The theme was Respect for Sacred Objects.  So to start off the assembly we sang So Many Ways to Praise the Lord then I started to talk about things that I hold dear to me like my collection of Bibles.  I showed a few of them to the children explaining as I did that they are just books like any other book but it is what's inside them that make them special to me - it is God's word on paper.  I displayed a bible verse from 2Timothy - Everything in the Scriptures is God’s Word. All of it is useful for teaching and helping people and for correcting them and showing them how to live. 2 Timothy 3:16.  I explained that scripture is the words in the Bible and mentioned that the Jews have it on scrolls and they are so special to them that they don't even touch the words with their fingers as they read them, they use a pointer called a Yad.  I also displayed the verse - Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.  Psalm 119:105 and explained that we can use the Bible to guide us like we would use a torch on a dark night.  I also said that at times we can read the Bible and read a story we have read before and nothing but then sometime later read it again and WOW! something jumps off the page and God speaks to us.  God inspired many people to write the Bible by telling them what to put down the 2 Timothy verse tells us that.  I said God can Do Anything cue for a song.  After the song I said a prayer to close.

No comments:

Post a Comment