Tuesday 8 January 2013

Low Furness School

This was the first assembly of 2013 and we decided to do something about New Year.  In particular the promises we make to ourselves at the start of a New Year.  After singing Brand New Day (first time song) I greeted the children and wished them a Happy New Year - I went on to tell the children about 3 things I had decided to promise this year 1)To get fit, 2)not to eat chocolate and 3)not to worry as much.  I then handed over to Sarah to talk about promises while I went over to a box of chocolates and sat down to start and eat them - the children shouted out at Sarah who then shouted at me, with all the shouting I then dropped the wrapper from the chocolate on the floor - and got a child to pick it up for me.  Well Sarah really did shout now, not only had I had a chocolate I had also got a child to pick up the rubbish which she informed me and the school was breaking two of my three promises.  I then panicked and started to worry about it when Sarah said there you are all three broken.  Sarah then carried on by asking 10 children to come out and said that out of ever 10 people, 3 don't make a promise so they sat down and also 3 who do break them.  The point was we make promises very easily and break them just as easily.  But she said there is one promise that was made by God which is found in Hebrews 13:5 which tells us that God will not leave us or forsake us and that is one promise we should always remember.  We asked the children to think about what promises they might make to God this year.  We ended with Shine and a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment