Monday 2 February 2015

Penny Bridge School

This morning I went down to Penny Bridge School for the assembly.  I decided to do the assembly on going for goals which we have already done in a couple of schools.  So after singing So Many Ways to Praise the Lord I displayed the initials of some famous sports people and asked the children if they could guess who they were.  It didn't take long for them to do that.  I then displayed a few more letters and asked if they could work out which historical people they were RtB and StP.  This led me to tell them the story or part of it of Robert the Bruce.  I focused on the part about the spider and how it continued to try and try to build it's web despite several failed attempts.  I then told part of Paul's story how he had met Jesus and then went around telling people about him and how he was beaten, put in prison, ship wrecked but despite all this continued to tell people.  He wrote to the Philippians after his visit there which had resulted in his imprisonment the follow word of encouragement. Forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is ahead, I press on towards the goal.  Philippians chapter 3:13-14.  I then started to conclude by explaining that the sports people didn't get to were they are today by giving up when things got hard or when they failed because they had an aim and a goal in life which they worked towards and we should do the same.  I told them that when I was in primary school I gave up playing the guitar which is something that I now look back at with regret as I wish I had continued to do despite the hard work.  To close the assembly we sang Wonderful Lord and as we did I explained that God is always with us through our lives and he is looking out for us in all that we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment