Monday 2 February 2015

St Peters School

A bit of a late post but here it is.  Last Wednesday I went to St Peters School to take the assembly.  I did the assembly about goals and aiming towards things in life.  I was told at the start of the assembly that the school had been looking at Hope this half term so I brought that into it as well.  So to start we sang So Many Ways to Praise the Lord then I displayed four sets of initials and asked the children if they knew which sports person they might be.  I did need to give a few clues though.  This led onto another two sets of letters RtB and StP asking the children if they knew these historic characters.  Someone did say St Peter but it is in fact St Paul.  RtB was for Robert the Bruce, I told a little of his story and how having been defeated he watch a spider try and try again to build a web, this inspired Robert to go back and reclaim the Scottish throne.  I then told the children some of the basic facts about Paul and linked it to the verse Forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is ahead, I press on towards the goal.  Philippians chapter 3:13-14.  I explained that the sports people don't achieve gold medals or FA cup medals or Wimbledon championships by just sitting a round doing nothing they have a goal in life that they hop to be able to aim for and achieve it and despite the hard work and sometimes failures they continue to work at it until the get there.  It was just so with Paul as he told people about Jesus he was beaten up and put in prison and even ship wrecked but he continued to tell people about Jesus.  We should do the same and I reminded the children that God would be with us as we did.  To close we sang Wonderful Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment