Wednesday 13 April 2016

Burlington School

This morning I went to Burlington School for the assembly.  It was great to see all the children again after the Easter break.  Before I started the assembly I said how lucky the children in that school are to have such great views of the hills and mountains around them, I said the journey to their school makes me happy - which was a bit of a cue to the first song we were going to sing - Be Happy.  After the song I introduced the theme for the assembly which was respect.  I first asked the children if they knew what respect was and what it meant.  I then showed a short clip from the film Finding Nemo in which Nemo was swimming out into open water and going against what his father was saying.  When the clip finished I asked the children what it was that Nemo wasn't doing - showing respect to his father - one boy said that he was doing the complete opposite to what his father said.  I reminded the children about what happens in the film in that Nemo is caught and taken and put into a fish tank, then his father has to go and try to find him.  What happened to him wasn't very good.  I then lifted up my Bible explaining that there are loads of stories in it that show both respect and disrespect towards people as well as towards God.  I also explained that there was this really old guy who was in his 80's and God called him to lead the people and to do that God gave them some rules to follow one such rule was to show respect to your father and mother - Moses was the old guy of course.  I expanded the verse out by saying we should respect to all people.  Then when we do show respect we Shine from the inside out.  That was a cue for a song.  after the song I closed the assembly with a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment