Tuesday 3 December 2019

Broughton School

This morning Sarah and I went over the tops to Broughton School to do our Christmas assembly.  Sarah started the assembly by asking if anyone had had a chocolate before breakfast this morning, then she asked why.  A lot of hands went up in the school and the reasons why varied between it's Christmas, it's nearly Christmas to Advent.  Sarah explained that this time of year as we count down to the big day - Christmas is the season of Advent but it is a waiting season as that is what the word means.  She then handed over to me and I held up a slip of paper with the word Christmas on it.  As I talked about what Christmas is I removed one letter at a time until I was left with just Chris.  For each letter I asked the children to think about something that was to do with Christmas that started with that letter, so we had snow, snowmen, star, Santa, Advent, angel, mums, mince pies etc.  I explained that all of these things are part of Christmas but not the real reason for it so I suggested that we restored Christmas, then collecting all the pieces together and folding and folding - dropping a piece too - which generated a laugh - I then was able to restore the word Christmas which was rather a big surprise to most children.  But what about the bit on the floor, as I picked it up and opened it - it read Happy Birthday Jesus.  Sarah then rounded off the assembly by going over what I had said and introduced our Christmas song - Rejoice with Us after which she said a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment