Thursday 12 December 2019

Our Lady's School

This morning Sarah and I went to Our Lady's School for the assembly - it was our last assembly of 2019.  We of course did our Christmas assembly.  Sarah started  by asking who had had chocolate for breakfast then she asked why - the answer was because it is the season of Advent.  Someone did answer Sarah's next question before she even asked it which was what Advent is.  So Sarah said as we wait for Christmas what really is it - she handed over to me to do my Christmas torn and restore illusion.  As each letter was removed from the word Christmas I asked if the children could give me a word about Christmas that started with that letter.  We had Santa, snow, stocking, Advent and angels, Mince pies, Mary and manger, tree, turkey and tinsel.  Which just left us with Chris - but who is that I asked.  So I gathered all the pieces together and started to fold them back into Christmas dropping a large piece on the floor as I did so which generated a laugh.  Then after making Christmas whole again I looked at the bit on the floor and got a child to pick it up and unfold it - it said Happy Birthday Jesus.  I got a great reaction from the children following this.  Sarah then pointed out that all the things the children had said are part of Christmas but the real reason for the season is the birth of Jesus and without him there would be no Christmas to celebrate.  Sarah asked the children on Christmas day when the open up their presents to not only say thank you to the person giving the present to them but to say thank you to God for sending Jesus into the world.  We then sang Rejoice with Us before Sarah finished with a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment