Thursday 2 May 2013

BX NT3 at St Peters

This afternoon I have been over at St Peters for the third lesson of Bible Explorer.  I had a great time and so did the children.  We looked at the lost parables and I told the story of the lost coin, we did the story of Zacchaeus and the raising of Lazarus.  Which led us to the last week on earth of Jesus' life.  We talked about the entry into Jerusalem and the temple cleansing.  I did this story with some toy money some English pounds and some Euros.  The pounds were the normal money and the euros temple money.  A couple of children gather round as we pretended to be in the temple.  There was a sheep for sale at 10 Euros but the buyer needed to exchange his pounds into temple money so to get 10 Euros he paid 15 pounds, so he bought the sheep.  Then when he came to leave the temple any money he had left needed to be change back so say he had 10 Euros left he sold it back for 8 pounds.  The children soon realised that this was not fair which helped them understand why Jesus turned the money tables over - I didn't turn the tables over I demonstrated it by turning the money trays over and repeating Jesus' words 'this is a house of prayer but you have made it into a den for thief's'  This led to the last supper story which included the breaking of bread and wine (I didn't have these items) and the command to 'Do this in remembrance of me'  then I explain that Judas had already spoken to the chief priest about Jesus and basically sold him for 30 silver pieces.  Then came prayers in the garden, the arrest and Peter's denial which I got a couple of children to act out.  I then went over the crucifixion part of the story before quickly moving into Easter Sunday and the resurrection.  On the whole I felt the lesson went well and I hope the children enjoyed it.  One or two have been asking when Paul's story starts which is interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment