Thursday 16 March 2017

Coniston Primary School

This morning I was at Coniston Primary School for the assembly.  I was going to start with So Many Ways to Praise the Lord but a little boy at the front asked if we could sing Be Happy like last time - so we did.  After the song I introduced them to Scruff the Dog - who was rather wet and very smelly.  So I asked if he had been running through the long wet grass again - no he said he had been for a shower, which wasn't correct as he doesn't like the bath.  So I asked him again and this time he told me that it was because it was raining outside - which it had been but was also not true.  So I asked him about it a third time and he said that while drinking from his bowl it had fallen over - again not true.  I sent him away and told him to think about what he had said.  While he did that I told the children about Peter denying Jesus three times just after Jesus had been arrested and taken away.  Jesus had even told Peter that he would do it and Peter still did it - he wasn't strong.  Scruff lied and Peter denied.  However Peter did eventually stand up for Jesus on the day of Pentecost when he spoke to thousands of people about Jesus and that is when the church started.  I encouraged the children to be strong and to stand up for what they believe in and not to be like Scruff or be like Peter was.  Peter did in the end Shine from the inside out - cue song.  After the song I closed the assembly with a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment