Thursday 23 March 2017

Flookburgh School

This morning Sarah and I went down to Flookburgh School for the assembly.  We started by singing Be Happy before I introduced Scruff the Dog to the children.  He was all wet and very smelly so when I asked him repeatedly if he had been running through the long wet grass each time he said no and came up with a different reason as to why he was wet and smelly - like he had taken a shower, it had been raining or he had tipped his water bowl over.  All of this brought about a laugh from the children but I told him he needed to think about what he had said.  After I had sent him away I told the children about Peter when he denied Jesus I explained the story from the point when Jesus was giving the disciples their final teaching about what events were going to unfold.  Peter had stood up saying he wouldn't leave Jesus but Jesus told him that before the cock crowed the next morning Peter would say three times that he didn't know Jesus.  As I told the story and acted out Peter's part each time Peter denied Jesus I held up a finger - the children looked on in silence each time.  After the story I explained that Scruff lied and Peter denied - they both lacked courage and were not strong.  I did continue and tell the children about the actions of Peter at Pentecost when thousands decided to follow Jesus - now he was strong and courageous.  I encouraged the children to stand up for what they believe in and be strong and courageous with it.  Sarah then re-emphasised this and linked to our final song Shine.  After the song Sarah closed with a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment