Tuesday 20 May 2014

Croftlands Infants

This afternoon Sarah and I have been at Croftlands Infants school.  We decided to do the assembly on humility like we have done in several other schools this month except we took Scruff the Dog with us to help with the story.  So to start we sang Be Happy and then I got Scruff out who had been in a dog race and come first.  He was so pleased with himself and made it known to everyone just how good he was at running - but he didn't get the biggest round of applause because the little dog that came in last got it instead.  Scruff couldn't understand while as he said lots of times he was the best.  This led me to telling him and the children the parable of the Tax Collector and the Pharisee.  I played up the part of the Pharisee in a grand way and played down the Tax Collector, I then asked the children which one they thought we might find in heaven and the answer came back the Tax Collector, I asked why and it was because he said sorry.  I reminded the children about Jesus washing the disciples feet the night before he died and the fact that he was God's Son.  I then explained that we should be like that - which is humble not bigging ourselves up like Scruff tried to do or like the Pharisee did.  We should be like Jesus servant hearted and willing to do things for other people.  Following this Sarah gave the children a choice of singing Great Big God (their favourite) or Shine - the children picked Great Big God.  I then closed with a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment