Tuesday 2 October 2012

Low Furness

This morning I went along to Low Furness School to take the assembly.  The theme given to us was Our Earth - thinking on this I thought a harvest theme.  So after singing Creator God I showed the children a clock and moved the hands to various times during the day.  I also had my mobile phone alarm with me and so I asked the children what woke them up in a morning apart from parents.  They responded with - alarm clock.  I went on to say that time is a funny thing and in fact the song we had sung was 2 minutes long.  But how long is a minute so I asked them to time a minute and stand when they got close.  Lots of children stood up right on the minute.  This led to me asking how an apple tree works.  How does it grow?  What tells it when to flower and produce fruit?  I  drew out just how amazing it is that trees bear fruit that we can eat and inside them is the seeds to plant new trees.  Then I invited up three children to read passages from the bible Genesis 1:11; 8:22 and Ecclesiastes 3:1-2 which talk about God putting seeds into fruit and how everything has a time to sow and harvest.  Following on from this we sang Great Big God.

No comments:

Post a Comment