Monday 30 November 2015

Pennington School

This afternoon I went to Pennington School to do our Christmas assembly.  After singing Inright Outright I introduced the children to a collection of 9 Christmas boxes each with a label on them.  The labels each had  a letter on them.  A quick, keen eyed child would easily spot that the word was Christmas.  I asked 9 children to come up and hold a box in the right order then going down the line using each letter asked the children to think about something to do with Christmas.  So we had carols, candles, holly, reindeer, ivy, ice, snow, tree, mince pies, advent and Santa - as well as a good few more.  Then I asked the children to open the box and inside the lid was a word which made up a bible verse, the children now needed to get themselves in the right order to make the verse, which was from Luke 2:11.  The children got themselves in the right order and the verse read Today a saviour has been born to you. Luke 2:11.  I then asked what the word saviour means, and a few people gave an explanation - I read the dictionary definition 'one who saves'.  I explained that Jesus was that saviour and that is why we celebrate at Christmas time.  The song we sung to begin linked in with that idea as there is a line in it that says Jesus cared for me when he died on Calvary.  Jesus was the greatest gift given to us as he became our saviour.  That gives us a good reason to rejoice at Christmas time - to close we sang Rejoice with us this Christmas, then I closed with a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment