Wednesday 20 January 2016

Lindale School

This morning Sarah and I went to Lindale school to take the assembly.  We have been given the theme of hope and linking it to the Noah story and the rainbow appearing for the first time.  To start off the assembly we sang God can do Anything, then Sarah talked and ask questions about the Noah story.  I then took over at the point when the ark was a float and the rain then stopped and came to rest and the animals could be let out.  I asked what did they see? - A rainbow!  so I continued to talk about rainbows and about how they are formed - they always come after a storm and then the sun shines making the bow of colours in the sky.  I also mentioned that I have seen a double rainbow following a really heavy storm.  I linked this to the fact that in life we sometimes go through dark times, maybe we have fallen out with someone at school and we lie awake at night thinking about it, then the next morning everything appears to be dark and gloomy.  I encouraged the children to look for the rainbow because it is a symbol of hope for a better future.  I also talked about South Africa and the time when black and white people didn't get on and were very much separate peoples - not living together as a whole.  One person that helped to bring the peoples together was Desmond Tutu he called the people the 'Rainbow People', he encouraged them and reassured them that things would get better because that is what God wanted - he gave them a new hope.  And it happened.  I also share our ministry verse with the children Jeremiah 29:11 I displayed the following picture which shows the verse first and read it through with the children
For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you plans to give you a hope and a future.
The children thought is was funny with the pictures.  Sarah then introduced the final song May the God of Hope, after the song she then said a prayer.  After the assembly the head teacher ask me for copies of the picture and the verse I had used in the assembly to display on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment