Wednesday 13 June 2012

St Peters

Scruff the Dog came with me today when I visited St Peters School.  To start the assembly we sang Giants of Faith as the children requested it.  I then sat down and introduced Scruff the Dog, but he was a little sad.  He whispered in my ear that he had lost his special badge.  I asked if he had looked for it properly which he said he had but then I found it in his bag (like some many things that go missing)  The badge said I'm Special on it so I asked Scruff where it had come from he told me that someone special thought he was special and gave it to him.  I then asked if anyone else was special and Scruff shook his head and said no only him.  So what about the boys and girls in the assembly then I asked could I give his badge to one of them.  Scruff went very sad at the thought of this idea, so I reminded Scruff that everyone is special and I asked the children why.  The children responded with answer like we all look different, we have different talents, we are unique was one answer.  So I confirmed all of these answers and told everyone that God made us all to be special because he loves us so much.  And even knows how many hairs are on our heads - to which Scruff replied that in my case that wouldn't be hard to count as I don't have much hair left.  I also told everyone that God knew all about us even before we were born.  Scruff sad that if Gary had been in the assembly he would have said WOW so Scruff did a silent WOW.  He couldn't believe at first that everyone is special but by the end he understood why we are so special to God.  He was now quite happy to give away his I'm Special badge to anyone that wanted it except it had a picture of a dog on it and a paw print.  So I said that we don't really need a badge anyway.  He went away felling very pleased.  To end the assembly Scruff reminded me that we have a song called Touch a Finger which is about being special to God so we sang that once Scruff had left.  I then ended the assembly with a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment